By this time, Smokey and the Bandit had already been filming for 24 days. They wrapped up filming in Georgia on October 11, 1976. Just a point of reference.
Some interesting things I noticed in this ad...
- The seats appear to have the new 1977 style inserts but the door panels are using the 1976 style door pull straps.
- There is a footnote that the "T/A 6.6" engine (200HP) is not available in California or high altitude counties.
- The hood scoop looks like a 1976 style, with a 1977 hood. It does have a "T/A 6.6" decal on it.
- The snowflake wheels look like the final production wheels. I only mention it because other early/pre-production photos show a special custom wheel. I included a couple of examples below...the 1977 brochure car and the Aug,76 Motor Trend car. The snowflake wheels on those cars had a special/different wheel lip. (see arrow)
- It does not have the "TRANS AM" decal on the front bumper, over the LH headlights.
- It is funny they are advertising the "new T/A 6.6 has the horsepower of last year's 455 V-8 over a broader rpm range" but in 1977 they reduced the tachometer from 8,000 RPM to 6,000 RPM...not that any of us would run a stock 400/455 over 6,000 rpm anyway.
Jan. 16, 2022